Today, USDA released its 2012 Rural Development Progress Report detailing how it invested in job creation, businesses, infrastructure and housing in rural communities. While we already know the critical impact of these programs in our communities, it’s always helpful to have some numbers, facts, and figures.
Did you know? In 2012, Rural Housing programs helped:
- 7,940 families access safe, affordable homes, through approximately $900.9 million in Section 502 Direct Loans;
- 145,100 families purchase their homes with the help of a Section 502 Guaranteed Loan;
- 7,000 homeowners repair their homes with a home repair loan or grant;
- 270,000 families access affordable rental housing through $904.7 million in rental assistance; and
- 1,700 families move into new apartments through $122.6 million in rental housing development, $104.3 million in rental guaranteed loans, and $5.5 million in housing for farm workers and their families.
Remember, this is a great resource to share with your Senators and Representatives. Let them know what’s at stake if Congress fails to act and the new “rural” definition takes effect!